Sunday 12 April 2015

Diversification

Welcome to my first non sewing blog post. I think a bit of diversity might help make sure I've always got something to write about. I'll start by playing it safe and telling you about my garden, but who knows where this could end... I have a lot to say on a lot of subjects!

So the sun is out, the sky is blue and we're having our garden done next week. We only moved into our house six months ago, so we've not spent the summer here yet. The garden is basically an overgrown patch of concrete at the moment. It's going to be completely dug up and replaced with a stone path and patio and turf lawn. The way I'm thinking of it is that the structure is going to be put in place next week (by the experts) and then we're going to embellish it over time. Initially, I'm interested in creating a 'container garden'. Not just growing things in pots, but creating a whole environment just above the ground. This website has been really useful for garnering initial ideas and thoughts. Even in such a small space the possibilities are overwhelming, so I've narrowed my ambitions down to the following outcomes:

1. A place to play
2. A haven for bees, butterflies and other wildlife
3. A working garden full of things to eat

I'm not really intending to ever consciously 'design' the garden, above and beyond the basic framework that I descrived above (as sketched out on this post-it note!). 


The intention is to allow the garden evolve over time. I imagine there will be a lot of trial and error, introducing things when we need them and taking them away when they don't work. 

Here's the 'before' pictures ('scuse the washing!). I'll supplement with the 'after' pictures next week...  I genuinely can't wait!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment