Sunday 29 March 2015

More Speed, Less Haste

Remember when I admitted to having no new sewing project lined up after I finished the pj bottoms? Well, I still had no plan this week  (until this morning I have been waiting for the pattern for the Simplicity Blogger Challenge to arrive). So I decided to use some left over fabric to make up a new dress for my daughter. I've made this pattern before (a couple of months ago in my pre blog days) and it came out OK, but I wanted to see if I could do it better.

I couldn't! 




In your mind, please take the title of this post ("More Speed, Less Haste") and replace "less haste" with "less quality" or, more accurately in his case, "really really shoddy sewing". The worst bit is the wonky way the contrasting band at the bottom is attached to the upper spotty part.  That just went wrong from the off! I didn't match the pieces well enough and I didn't keep the seams even, so the band piece ended up smaller than the upper part. That meant that the only way to attach it to the upper part was to pinch it up in places- so now the whole thing is bunched up in places. The only way to make it look half decent is to not slip stitch aground the whole contrast band on the inside. There's a big flappy gap in there. Uggggggh! It's depressing. Let's not talk about it anymore!



















What it comes down to is that I just didn't put the effort in. I didn't care about the fabric because I hadn't bought it with this project in mind. I'd found the pattern challenging and unclear the first time I used it, and unsurprisingly it was exactly the same this time!!!


Ho hum. I'm just going to have to chalk this one up to experience. (Post blog note: actually, after looking at the photos for this post, I think I might take the contrasting band off the bottom and turn into a little spotty vest top. I could still salvage something from this horror!) The pattern has arrived for the Simplicity competition now, and I've already bought the fabric, so that will be my next project. I really, really want to do a good job with it, so I hereby commit to TAKE. MY. TIME!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment