Sunday 15 March 2015

The importance of forward planning

I've very nearly finished the pj bottoms. I just need to get something to make the drawstring out of. Unfortunately, as they're a birthday present I can't photograph them on the owner yet, but I've taken couple of hanger shots.... I realised fairly quickly that pattern matching this print is waaaaaaaaay beyond me (and possibly completely impossible). But what I did give special attention to was making sure the same pattern runs up the centre of each leg piece. And that worked quite well. The pattern wraps all the way around and there is a nice flow to it. All things considered, I think that's the best I could have hoped for. 



Now for the mistakes though. And this is a real clanger! ...  Somehow, the button holes for the draw string to pass through don't line up. At all. I worked really hard on matching all the notches and pattern markings, but just didn't pay any attention to these bad boys! Definitely one of those mistakes to learn something from... Will not do that again. Note to self etc. For now, I'm hoping that once the drawstring is in and the waist is gathered up a bit more it won't be so noticeable! Spotting any other mistakes will have to wait until the boyfriend has tried them on. Pllllleeeeeasssse let them fit?!



So now this is finished, I have problem...  I've not planned my next project yet! Over the past few months I've always made sure I have the next fabric and a pattern lined up, but not this time. I think maybe I'll have another go at a toddler dress I made for my little girl at the beginning of the year. Pre blog. Or maybe some pj shorts for myself. I also need to start thinking design. I've entered the 'newcomer' category in this Simplicty competition. Basically, the challenge is to construct a a simple skirt and turn it into a "sensational, stand out statement piece". Alright then!

No comments:

Post a Comment